I recommend that all my students create and use a professional email account through gmail and become familiar with and use Google Docs for all their school work.
1. Kids need a professional email to communicate with adults– for jobs, for school, and for anyone to take them seriously.
2. They need to learn how to write professionally and not in text speak so they can enter the world and achieve whatever they want to be.
3. Google Docs is free word processing where you can also create presentations, spreadsheets, forms, drawings, etc.
4. You can access Google Docs from anywhere. No more losing your homework!
5. You can collaborate with other awesome people. Great teams exceed great individuals almost always.
6. I have had many students profusely thank me for teaching them this as 9th graders. They tell me that in college they are prepared, organized, and able to work with anyone. They say that many other students are not as well prepared for the challenges of college work.
If you are an educator and you don’t use Google Docs, you need to do it right now, because it works, it’s awesome, and it will help you get more done, more quickly, in a much easier way.