How do we learn to read, think, and write deeply? With practice.
To help you, I put together some tips on how to read deeply:
1. Read with your mind on fire – Devour the text you are reading. Read actively.
2. Read with a pen – Underline things you find interesting or important. This is incredibly effective.
- Helps you focus on the important
- Gives you notes to refer to later
- Slows you down enough to actually think about and understand the reading
3. Write down questions you have – If you have questions, write them down, and then ask them. Ask a million questions and then work tirelessly to find the answers. Chances are you’ll come up with more questions, and that’s good.
4. Block out the world – Find a quiet place. Put away your phone. The only thing that matters is this text you are trying to understand.
5. Do the work – Reading deeply requires you put serious time and work into your reading. If you are willing to do the work, you will find deep reading to be an experience that is enjoyable in and of itself.
What are the benefits for you to read deeply?
- You will learn more
- You will learn in a more meaningful and long-term way.
- Practicing these skills will help make you a deeper thinker and writer
- You will appreciate what you are learning more
- Studying will be easier
- You will be able to relate what you are learning to your current world and apply it too!