Hello marvelous students,
Here are some tips I put together for you on how to study better! Enjoy. 🙂
1. Choose the right place – Students often study in a place with lots of distractions. Television, siblings, parents, phones…everything. A quiet spot, with decent light, and perhaps a plant, would be good. A desk is a big help.
2. Study better – Are you reading and rereading your notes over and over hoping it will sink in? That won’t work. Some better ways include thoughtful outlining, connecting to the material in a personal way, and asking questions of yourself and then training to answer them. For certain things flashcards help too.
3. Teach a friend (or the dog) – If you can explain the material so that somebody else understands it, then you know it. If you can’t do this, then you probably don’t. Focus on understanding and avoid just “memorizing” the information. The act of explaining to someone else what you are learning helps you learn much faster and much better.
4. Take breaks – Your brain needs a break; studying for hours on end without breaks will lead to burnout and negative feelings about studying. Get up and stretch, listen to some music, walk down the hall and talk to your parents or brothers and sisters. Keep the breaks short (5-15 minutes) and then hit the books!
5. Class matters – Being mentally and physically present in class matters a lot. If you show up to class ready to learn, take notes and attentively listen to your teachers, you will have to study much less. Also your teachers will tell you which things are the most important and you’ll know what to focus on. It’s like magic.